Moving to London

Working in London

Working in London

If you're lucky enough to have a British or EU passport then you can work in London no problem at all. If you don't you’ll have to apply for a working visa. Australians, South Africans and New Zealanders can find out more TNTs Visa section.

Paying National Insurance

Everyone working in the UK pays National Insurance (NI) on top of normal taxes. This money pays for the national health service (NHS) and the State Pension.

It is imperative that you get a National Insurance Number as soon as possible when arriving in the UK. With a number it is far easier to use the free hospital services. For foreigners it is also recommended that, once you have a number, you "contract out" of the State Pension in order to receive a rebate on some of your NI contributions.

Numbers are issued through the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and getting one can be a hassle. Phone 0845-6000 643 from 8am-6pm Monday-Friday to arrange an appointment. Take your passport, a letter confirming you are employed or registered with an agency and two or three other pieces of ID. Within eight weeks you'll get a number in the post.

Alternatively, if you've already started working, your employer may be able to apply for a National Insurance number on your behalf. Ask for a CA5407 form which is completed by both the employee and employer and then sent to Jobcentre Plus in Glasgow.

After you receive your National Insurance number you can apply for your National Insurance Rebates through the services of specialist providers including Taxback and 1st Contact

Important: You must contract out before the end of the financial year on April 5.

Finding a Job

If you're looking for temping, contracting or permanent work positions visit our partner site for a wide selection of jobs from teaching jobs in London to bar work, finance to engineering.

Three things you'll need to find a job in London

- A great CV

- Stamps or comfortable shoes: If you're not using a recruitment agency, you might do well to send out your CV to employers in your field, even if you've not seen them advertising. And some businesses, especially in service industries (pubs, shops, etc), advertise for staff simply by putting signs in their windows. Prepare to pound the pavement.

- Sign up to some London forums and start asking questions about the job market, c.vs, documentation, tax and anything else that you feel you need to know about to be prepared. Try the TNT magazine online forums and check out the working in London video at

- Enthusiasm: Some people find work the day they get off the plane, but others aren't so lucky. Stay patient!